This 1974 Land Rover Series III is being restored with our NAO Expedition package. The truck will be used in British Columbia at a very remote camp and will see rough conditions on a regular basis.
This 1974 Series III is in for a full restoration.
The truck was in an accident at some point, here you can see where the frame is bent.
The right door post is pushed back. You can see the gap between the fender and the bulkhead.
The truck has its original 2.25 engine.
Here you can see the really bad door gaps because of the bent frame.
The door top is actually overlapping the windshield frame.
With only 20,000 original miles the interior appeared to be in good condition.
Now that the rover is coming apart, we are noticing more and more parts that were damaged during the accident.
The bulkhead is badly buckled.
The body is removed.
The dash is completely rotted out.
The bulkhead was twisted so badly in the accident that it was kinked all the way back behind the dash.
Five new 16" x 5.5" wheels are painted in NAO Expedition Tan.
Here you can see the backs of the parts are painted to the same standard as the fronts.
The tub was stripped and repainted.
Galvanized under body supports are installed. The galvanized coating will prevent galvanic corrosion from taking hold.
The bottom of the tub is painted to the same standard as the top.
A replacement bulkhead was sourced as the original bulkhead was badly twisted.
The transmission was rebuilt by R. Whitehouse & Son in the UK. They made every modification they could to make this unit as strong as possible.
A stainless steel gas tank is installed.
The Turner Engineering 2.25 is being assembled.
The rear axle is installed on parabolic springs.
A high torque starter is installed.
The motor is dropped into the frame and the transmission was mated to it.
The bulkhead is being assembled.
Michelin XZL tires and steel wheels are installed.
The disc brake conversion is complete. This conversion uses all Defender parts so that replacement parts are easy to source.
The completed rolling chassis.
The body is painted in NAO Expedition Tan. The rear tub is installed first.
All new hardware is used throughout.
These are the seat belt brackets that were only used on Series IIIs. Galvanic corrosion is a big issue where the steel touches the aluminum quarter panel. We have every bracket under the Land Rover galvanized so that the quarter panels will never be eaten away by corrosion like so many others have.
The freshly galvanized cappings are riveted to the tub. The galvanizing is really shiny now but in a few months will dull to a mellow gray.
The Series III will have an NAS Defender style swing away tailgate.
The door alignment is done. Now the doors can be removed so that the interior can be assembled.
A NOS dash is installed.
The NADA lights are installed.
The grab handles were regalvanized and fastened with galvanized hardware. The original reflectors are installed.
Air conditioning is being installed.
This is a timing cover off a military 2.25 with a cast mount for a generator. This is where we will mount the compressor.
The compressor is mounted. The crank pully is also changed out for a double groove pulley.
The condenser is mounted.
The swing away tailgate is installed.
Yaesu ham radio is installed in the Tuffy center console.
A locking hasp is installed for the gas cap.
Genuine Land Rover Defender seats are installed.
A Facet fuel pump is installed to help cure vapor lock.
A tensioner pulley setup is fabricated.
The air cleaner mount is modified and relocated. A Mount Mansfield high output heater is installed.
The gauge bezels are repainted and the dash is installed.
The High Lift jack is mounted under the passenger side jump seat and a new factory style load bay mat is added.
A check strap is added to the swing out rear door. The jack securing pins are tethered on chains so they do not get lost when the jack is in use.
The ham radio antenna is mounted.
We needed a battery box with a recess for a battery like the diesel Series III's have. There was no room for a battery in the engine bay with an A/C compressor in place.
An Odyssey AGM battery is installed.
We installed factory rub rails on the back of the seats to prevent the galvanized capping from rubbing through the vinyl.
This is the wiring for the ham radio. It is designed to be easily removed. We also used rivnuts to mount the center console so it can be removed in minutes in case the transmission or overdrive ever needs to be serviced.
A five gallon NATO jerry can wood spout has been added to the tailgate.
Inside is an axe and shovel mounted to the bulkhead.
These tools are ready to use in a moment's notice by simply loosening the two wingnuts. The mount is galvanized for rust prevention and for a factory appearance when installed on the capping. The mount can also accept a padlock. The shovel is manufactured in the UK by Carters and is what they call their "expedition shovel". It is specifically designed for digging underneath tires and in cramped situations. The British military mounts this shovel on their Land Rovers. The axe is a Hudson Bay axe which is shorter than a full size felling axe. This is a convenient size for pairing together with the Carters shovel. The axe is manufactured in the USA by Snow and Neally. We removed the shovel's head and had it galvanized which will likely prove more durable than paint with hard use.
The hood is had its skin riveted to the galvanized frame with hammer rivets.
This is a worn 8274 winch installed in a Pangolin bumper.
Galvanized rock sliders have been installed that have holes to receive the high lift jack with an adaptor fitted. This will make jacking up the side of the truck much safer and easier.